If you are like me, a busy mom with a busy life, you live for easy dinners that you can have on the table in less then 30 minutes. You will love this recipe for 3 reasons.
- Tasty, healthy ingredients – you will not have any guilt when eating this meal.
- Kiddo stamp of approval – Seriously my kids loved this and even asked for seconds.
- It tastes even better as left overs and it is easy to make a huge skillet of it and have left overs for a couple days or freeze it for another week!
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups of corn
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (or feel free to make your own)
- 1 small red onion (1 cup)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 cup of chopped peppers (red, yellow, and orange)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 avocado
- 2.5 cups of brown rice pasta
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped Cilantro (Optional)
- 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese (use less to make it less fat)
- Taco Seasoning (I prefer Epicure brand)
- Tsp of Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
Brown the turkey in chicken broth, add sauce and mix together. Add garlic, onion, peppers, black beans, corn, celery, pasta, and taco seasoning. Cook on low for 8 to 12 minutes stirring occasionally. Test a pasta noodle. When it is cooked, everything else should be good to go. Squeeze in fresh lime juice. Stir in chopped avocado, cilantro, and cheese. Cook another 2-3 minutes!
Voila you are finished! On the table in 30 min! Top with fresh cilantro and a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt for a healthier option and it’s a Mexican Fiesta in your mouth!
Please note – I forgot to buy cilantro when taking photos of this recipe so that is lacking, and I know celery is not a traditional Mexican ingredient, but it adds a bit of crunch, and makes it more hearty with no added calories,(your body burns more calories digesting celery that what is caloric intake is) so I threw it in there! I wish I had an after picture for you, but I was so hungry after the delicious scent was wafting into my nostrils, I had to dig right in and forgot! Oops! I hope you enjoy. Leave a comment if you try it out!